Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The 'I love..' Game

Yesterday was a struggle. It is dead week here at the beautifully rainy WOU. Everyone is exhausted and ready to either combust or fall asleep; that's college for you. I have been so busy lately that I have really fallen behind with my school work. Yesterday was one of those days that I had to force myself to even put one foot in front of the other. I am sure we all have those days but it just so happened that yesterday was also the busiest day of my week.


I woke up in the morning dreading the day. Oh, did I mention that I woke up at 5 freaking am! I had to finish a spanish essay. Thankfully, I was able to finish quickly and so move on with my life. But, because I woke up so early, I was ready to crash again by 10am. I had work at 10:30, and as I was walking over to the Writing Center, I could feel my energy just slowly leaving my body.

Yet, in that moment, I knew that I could either give in to the fatigue and stress, or I could suck it up and change my day. So I started listing all of the things that I loved. It was hard at first. I started with "I love the rain, even though it's super annoying that I am getting soaked, no I love the rain". Then, "I love those leaves", "I love that girl's backpack", and "I love that statue". By the time I got to work, I ended up thinking about how much I loved the color purple and the shoes I was wearing, and I realized that I had truly enjoyed my walk.

It's amazing really. People always talk about how your attitude can make or break your day. I guess I never really believed it before. My day was not terrible, in fact, had my Tuesday not been during dead week, I probably would have gone home thinking that I'd had a great day, an excellent day even! 
Tomorrow is Thursday and I can finally sleep in. Thank the Lord for sleep! 

No comments:

Post a Comment